Lecturers and other non-senate instructional titles are often referred to as "Unit 18 or IX titles" and are covered by a collective bargaining agreement(link is external) and exclusively represented by the UC-AFT(link is external).
A new employee orientation for IX titles is held at the beginning of every semester. The orientation for Fall 2023 will be held on Thursday, August 17th, from 10am-11am in Stanley Hall room 106.
The following tools and resources are used to implement the system-wide agreement on the Berkeley campus.
- C-1 Initial appointment
- C-3 Reappointment with or without Merit Increase: Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer, Unit 18
- C-4 Excellence review
- C-6 Merit increase for continuing lecturer
- Code Key/Summary of External Optional Letters Sample
- Fairness Safeguard Certification Form
- Unit 18 - Statement of Interest
GUIDELINES - EXCELLENCE REVIEWS
- Initial Appointment
- Temporary Augmentation
- Permanent Augmentation
- Notification of Excellence Review
- Notification of Continuing Appointment (following successful Excellence Review)
- Berkeley Campus Guidelines for Instructional Workload (IWC)
- IWC policies from academic units
- Duties that shall receive equivalences
- Lecturer Merit Guidelines
MOU - REVIEW CRITERIA - Article 7a.F.1.c.
Assessments of individual NSF for reappointment are to be made on the basis of demonstrated competence in the field, ability in teaching, academic responsibility and other assigned duties that may include University co-curricular and community service.